Masjid al-Farooq offers the service of performing marriages (Nikkah) by an Imam who is a licensed marriage officer. A licensed marriage officer is required in order to complete the necessary paperwork to register the marriage in the Province of Ontario.
The requirements to have a Nikkah done through the Masjid are as follows:
- Marriage License Document. A marriage license must be obtained from any City Hall in Ontario PRIOR to the date of the Nikkah. For the City of Mississauga, please call 905-615-3200 and ask for the marriage licensing office. Either or groom or bride may apply as long as the necessary documents are presented to the office. The office will inform you as to which documents are required. Please note that Masjid al-Farooq does not know what documents are required and cannot obtain the marriage license. Only the groom or bride may obtain the license. Please note the Imam will not perform any Nikkah without a valid marriage license which must be present at the time and place of the Nikkah ceremony. The Imam will fill and sign the remaining portion of the license, give you a temporary license, and will send the paperwork to the Office of the Registrar General for you.
- Wali (guardian) for the bride. The Bride must be represented by her Wali which is a male relative. Examples of a Wali include father, brother, son, paternal uncle, grandfather, etc. The following people cannot be a Wali: maternal uncle, other women even if relatives, friends, etc. Brides that do not have a Wali in accordance with the Shari’ah may be represented by the Imam if circumstances permit. If you need further clarification on this matter, please contact the office at (905) 858-7586 ext 22.
- Two male Muslim witnesses that are baligh (i.e. reached adulthood). These witnesses can be anyone as long as they fulfill the foregoing requirements. There is no requirement to have on witness from the bride’s side and one from the groom’s side. Nor is it required to have two from each side. Nor do the witnesses have to be relatives. There is nothing wrong if they happen to be relatives.
- Mahr (dowry). The dowry should be discussed and agreed upon before the Nikkah ceremony to avoid debate and save time.
- The Nikkah will only be performed if proper Islamic Adaab/Etiquettes are followed (e.g. proper Islamic dresscode, no free mixing, etc.).
- The Imam will only perform the Nikkah in the Masjid (on rare occasions the location may be elsewhere). Please note: due to space limitations, the Masjid can only accommodate up to 10 people for the Nikkah.
If you meet the above requirements and would like to schedule the Imam for a Nikkah, please contact the office at (905) 858-7586 ext 22.
PLEASE NOTE: IF THERE WILL BE NO MARRIAGE LICENSE OBTAINED PRIOR TO THE NIKKAH, PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE MASJID OR THE IMAM AS WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PERFORM THE NIKKAH.